The recognized leaders in personal injury law
Uber & Lyft Accident Lawyer in Camarillo
We provide the best legal assistance to victims of Uber/Lyft accidents. Check out this article about everything relating to Uber and Lyft accidents.
Are you looking for an Uber/Lyft accident lawyer in Camarillo, to provide you or your loved one with legal assistance when involved in an Uber/Lyft accident? We, at Bojat Law Group, provide the best legal assistance to victims of Uber/Lyft accidents. Check out this article about everything relating to Uber and Lyft accidents.
Uber and Lyft accidents are accidents involving transportation network companies (TNC), a lot of people refer to these companies as “ride-sharing” services. Cases with these companies are usually complicated, because Uber declares that they are not responsible for maintaining vehicles and their drivers are independent contractors, consequently, they are not offered any of the protections a standard employee would have. In law terms, these companies are less responsible for an independent contractor than they would for an employee.
The issues with an Uber/Lyft accident are not knowing who covers damages, and the number of factors affecting the claims you have as an injured passenger, or a third-party victim.
Learn everything about Uber/Lyft accidents in Camarillo. Who is liable for damages in a ride-sharing accident? Uber/Lyft, or the driver, the situations that affect the damage claims an Uber/Lyft driver, passenger, or pedestrian is entitled to, the damages you can claim after a ride-share accident, and why you need an Uber/Lyft accident lawyer in Camarillo.
Who Is Liable for Damages in a Ride-Sharing Accident? Uber/Lyft Companies, or the Driver?
If the driver is the party at fault, he/she is liable for damages, even when with a ride-sharing passenger. Although the driver may be protected by additional insurance through Uber/Lyft, he or she is still liable for whatever injuries the victim suffers.
Uber/Lyft can be liable for damages depending on the situation of the accident and whether or not the driver is considered an employee.
What To Do After an Uber/Lyft Accident
Here is what you should do when involved in an Uber or Lyft accident for drivers:
- Access yourself, and passengers for injuries, if a passenger is severely injured, call 911 immediately.
- Move your car out of traffic, to safety.
- Set up triangles, or flares if you can, to warn other drivers of your vehicle.
- Document the accident, but take videos or photographs of the accident scene, exchange insurance information, contact, or any other relevant information with the other driver. Get contact information of witnesses present at the scene.
- Report to Uber/Lyft on the app or by phone and contact your insurance company, where applicable.
- Seek medical assistance.
- Speak to an attorney.
As a passenger or a pedestrian involved in an Uber/Lyft accident, you should follow the above safety instructions where applicable.
The Situations That Can Affect the Damage Claims an Uber/Lyft Driver, Passenger, or Pedestrian Is Entitled to, and Who Pays for Damage Claims
The level of liability limits in ride-sharing accidents.
There are three different levels of liability limits in California. When a passenger, driver, or pedestrian is injured in a ride-sharing accident, the amount of coverage by insurance companies will depend on what the Uber/Lyft driver was doing at the time of the accident. It will depend on whether:
- The Uber/Lyft driver is picking up an accepted ride or has a ride-share passenger.
- The Uber/Lyft driver was driving in their own free time.
- The Uber/Lyft driver was logged into the app and was waiting for a passenger.
These levels of liability limits would affect how much compensation the passenger, driver, or pedestrian can recover for damages.
If you were struck or hit by an Uber/Lyft driver while the driver was riding in their free time, then the accident would be treated like any other car accident. He/she would be 100% responsible for damages and you will need to file a claim with the driver’s insurance company.
If the Uber/Lyft driver was waiting for a ride, while logged on the app, the contingent coverage may apply, with a limit of $50,000-$100,000.
If the Uber/Lyft driver already had a ride-share passenger during the time of the accident or was going to pick up the ride-share passenger, a commercial coverage of up to $1 million would apply.
The guilty party.
When logged into the app, your eligibility for compensation as an Uber/Lyft driver is dependent on who is at fault, if the other driver is at fault, you would expect to be compensated by their insurance company for all injuries and property damages. If the driver at fault is not insured, or is a hit and run, then Uber/Lyft will cover the cost of your bodily injuries.
If you caused an accident while driving for Uber/Lyft, and you are injured, neither Uber/Lyft insurance nor your auto insurance will provide coverage.
An injured passenger in a ride-sharing accident.
As an injured passenger, you may have a claim against your Uber/Lyft driver if the accident was caused by him/her. You may also be covered by the Uber/Lyft company insurance, that is, if the damages exceed the Uber/Lyft driver’s insurance coverage. However, if you weren’t wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident, your compensation for damages will be reduced.
But, if another driver is at fault for the accident, the injured passenger would be able to file a claim against the driver at fault.
The negligent driver is liable for damages.
The damages you can claim after a ride-share accident are the same associated with any car accident. They include:
- Compensation for Economic damages- Economic damages include all financial costs, such as lost wages, property damage, both present and future medical expenses, and other costs you pay for, depending on the severity of your injuries and loss of earning capacity, that is if you suffer permanent injuries that would prevent you from working.
- Compensation for Non-economic damages – are claims which include losses that do not have a direct financial component, such as loss of quality of life and enjoyment, pain and suffering, emotional distress, scarring and disfigurement, and disability.
In a fatal Uber/Lyft accident, surviving family members may be able to recover damages from the loss of a loved one, such as:
- Compensation for Financial losses.
- Compensation for Loss of support and companionship.
- Funeral and burial expenses.
Why Do You Need an Uber/Lyft Accident Lawyer in Camarillo?
Just because you are entitled to damages claims as a victim of an Uber/Lyft accident in Camarillo does not mean you won’t have any trouble receiving your compensation. You need to hire an Uber/Lyft accident lawyer in Camarillo at Bojat Law Group, to assist you legally, and negotiate on your behalf, for you to get a fair settlement.
As a driver or pedestrian, you should always obey the rules of the road to prevent accidents. Car accidents can sometimes be fatal, to protect your entitlement to compensation, you need to hire an Uber/Lyft accident lawyer to enable you to get the maximum settlement for your damages. Please, do not speak to the insurance adjuster of the guilty part, sign any documents, or accept settlements, without your attorney.