The recognized leaders in personal injury law
Motorcycle Accident Attorney Moorpark
Motorcycle accident victims have the right to file a legal claim against the party responsible for their injuries. However, many don’t know how to proceed with their claim.
Motorcycle accident victims have the right to file a legal claim against the party responsible for their injuries. However, many don’t know how to proceed with their claim. You should contact our Motorcycle accident attorney at Bojat Law Group to discuss your legal rights and how you can proceed with your claim. Contact us now to schedule a free consultation.
Motorcycle accident laws in California
There are specific laws every motorcyclist in California is required to comply with. These laws specify how motorcyclists should conduct and operate when on the road.
All motorcyclists have the same obligations and are subject to all the traffic laws and duties applicable to motorists.
These laws help to reduce the number of motorcycle accidents in California. Here are some of the motorcycle laws you should be aware of:
All motorcyclists are required to register their motorcycles with the California Department of Motor Vehicles. You cannot ride unregistered motorcycles in California.
Motorcyclists are required by law to have a liability insurance policy that complies with the minimum requirements of the state law. The minimum coverage under California state law is as follows:
- $30,000 for bodily injuries involving multiple people.
- $5,000 for property damage.
- $15,000 per individual bodily injury.
If you fail to obtain and maintain an insurance policy, your driver’s license could be suspended for one year. Also, failure to obtain an insurance policy means forfeiting your right to recover compensation for pain and suffering, even when you are not responsible for the accident.
Motorcycle equipment requirements
To ride a motorcycle on a Californian road, your motorcycle must meet certain specifications. They include:
- You must have passenger footrests and seats to carry passengers on your motorcycle.
- Your motorcycle is required by law to have a muffler, in addition to right and left mirrors.
- The handlebars of your motorcycle must be less than six inches from your shoulder.
- All motorcycles are expected to have front and rear turn signals.
- All motorcycles produced in 1978 or later must have headlights, and motorcyclists must use headlights, when necessary, even during the day.
Additionally, the law dictates that motorcyclists must wear a helmet approved by the Department of Transportation (DOT) when riding. The helmet must have a visible DOT sticker. Passengers are also required to wear DOT-approved helmets.
In California, lane splitting is legal. Lane splitting occurs when motorcyclists ride between two lanes of slow-moving traffic. Even though lane splitting is legal, there are guidelines under the California Highway Patrol (CHP) to consider before engaging in lane splitting.
- It is against the law for motorcyclists to ride in the shoulder lane.
- Lane splitting around large motor vehicles, such as truck-trailers and other commercial trucks and buses should be avoided.
- Before lane splitting, motorcyclists must take surrounding traffic conditions into account.
- A motorcyclist should avoid riding in blind spots.
- The California highway patrol recommends that motorcyclists always wear bright clothing and use their high beams to increase visibility, even during the day.
- Riding at speeds of 10 miles per hour greater than surrounding traffic should be avoided when lane splitting as it increases the risk of a collision.
Damages available in a motorcycle accident Moorpark, CA
If your accident was a result of the negligence of another, you are entitled to pursue compensation for damages from the at-fault party.
The damage Moorpark motorcycle accident victims can pursue include:
These are the financial losses motorcycle accident victims experienced as a result of the injuries sustained in the accident. These include:
- Cost of repair or replacement of their motorcycles.
- Past, Present, and anticipated medical expenses.
- Loss of present and future earnings.
- Other out-of-pocket costs.
Economic damages are not limited to the above listed. Contact your Moorpark motorcycle accident attorney to help you understand the economic damages you can pursue and calculate the value of damages you experienced in the motorcycle accident.
These are the non-monetary losses motorcycle accident victims experience. These include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment
The non-economic damages motorcycle accident victims can pursue are also not limited to the above listed. Non-economic damages are more difficult to calculate, you must hire a lawyer with the resources to secure expert analysis in calculating the value of your non-economic damages.
Benefits of a motorcycle accident attorney
There are several benefits of employing the services of a Moorpark motorcycle accident attorney.
With a motorcycle accident attorney on your side, you only need to focus on your recovery. Your attorney will take charge of your lawsuit and help relieve you of the burden of seeking retribution by yourself.
A motorcycle accident attorney will help you build a strong claim by gathering evidence of your accident to ensure you obtain maximum compensation.
With a motorcycle accident lawyer on your side, you will walk away with far more than if you handled your accident case yourself because a motorcycle accident attorney has the knowledge and skills to navigate your motorcycle accident case and fight on your behalf to ensure you obtain the fair compensation you deserve.
How BojT Law Group, APC can assist
At Bojat Law group, our Moorpark motorcycle accident attorneys have the experience to handle complex motorcycle accident cases. Our legal team offers assistance to clients in the following ways.
- Investigate your accident: For you to file a claim in a personal injury claim, you must determine the cause of your accident and the party at fault. We will thoroughly investigate the accident and gather every necessary evidence you need to ensure your claim.
- Calculate damages: Damages are usually difficult for motorcycle accident victims to calculate. In preparing for a motorcycle accident claim, you need to know how much your case is worth. At Bojat Law Group our Moorpark motorcycle accident attorneys will calculate the value of your damages to determine a settlement amount. We will ensure you obtain maximum compensation.
- Address your medical bills: We will put the payment for your medical care on hold until you receive compensation.
Contact a Moorpark motorcycle accident attorney from Bojat Law Group, APC
We work on a contingency basis. You don’t owe us unless you win.