The recognized leaders in personal injury law
Impaired Driving Accident Simi Valley
If you or your loved one have been involved in an accident with a driver you suspect was impaired in Simi Valley, contact a personal injury lawyer from Bojat Law Group, to know the extent of your claims. Find out about impaired driving accidents in Simi Valley, what makes impaired driving accident claims different from regular car accidents, and how you can protect your right to compensation in this article.
Impaired driving is operating a motor vehicle whilst under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or a combination of both. Driving whilst impaired by substance is dangerous, it can affect the driver’s judgment and ability to react quickly. In Simi Valley, it is a crime to drive while impaired by drugs, under the influence, or operate a motor vehicle with a BAC of 0.08% and above. Harsh punishments are meted out on DUI offenders and penalties can reach up to one year of jail time.
Being involved in an impaired driving accident is a devastating experience, especially knowing that your injuries were a result of the negligence of someone else. As the victim of an impaired driving accident in Simi Valley, you are entitled to seek compensation from the party at fault for damages incurred as a result of the accident. The aftermath of an accident is always overwhelming for victims, and piecing your life back together may seem tough, but at Bojat Law Group, our experienced personal injury lawyer can help seek retribution and maximum compensation to help you recover fully, and set your life back on track.
DUI Laws in Simi Valley
There are seven different DUI laws in Simi valley. They are;
1. Act 23152(a) — It is forbidden for intoxicated people to operate a motor vehicle.
2. Act 23152(b) — It is against the law for a person to operate a vehicle while their blood alcohol content is 0.08% or above.
3. Act 23152(c) — Anyone who is dependent on the usage of any substance is not allowed to operate a motor vehicle.
4. Act 23152(d) — It is against the law for a person to operate a commercial motor vehicle if they have 0.04% or more alcohol in their blood.
5. Act 23152(e) — As of July 1, 2018, it is illegal for a commercial driver to have 0.04% or more alcohol if a passenger for hire is in the vehicle.
6. Act 23152 (f) — Any drug-impaired driver is prohibited from operating a motor vehicle.
7. Act 23152 (g) — Any person under the influence of combined substances (such as alcohol and drugs) is not allowed to operate a motor vehicle.
If your injuries were a result of an act in violation of the DUI laws in Simi valley, you have the right to file a DUI personal injury lawsuit.
Damage Claims Available in an Impaired Driving Accident
As a victim of an impaired driving accident, Simi valley, you are entitled to the same compensatory damages available in a regular car accident. However, you can only obtain the full value of these claims when you seek counsel from an experienced personal injury attorney. Here are the following claim for damages you have;
- Medical expense— you are entitled to compensation for all medical expenses related to your injury.
- Lost wages— you are entitled to wages lost due to injuries from the accident.
- Pain and suffering— you are entitled to compensation for the physical and mental impacts of the accident.
- Loss of earning capacity— if as a result of the accident you are not able to work permanently, you are entitled to compensation for loss of earning capacity.
- Other compensatory damages— where applicable, you are entitled to compensation for damages such as; loss of quality life and enjoyment, emotional distress, disability, scarring and disfigurement, and others.
Punitive damages— what makes impaired driving accident claims different from regular car accident claims is that victims may also receive punitive damage. Punitive damages are intended to punish the drunk driver and prevent other drivers from engaging in the act.
The Extent of Damage Claims in a DUI Personal Injury Lawsuit
The extent of damages in a DUI personal injury lawsuit is dependent on the nature and seriousness of the victim’s injuries. The more severe the injuries, the more the larger the extent of the damage claims.
However, calculating the value of compensatory damages in a DUI personal injury lawsuit may be difficult, but we at Bojat Law Group, have the resources to obtain expert analysis and endure you receive maximum compensation.
How To Protect Your Right to Compensation
As the victim of an impaired driving accident, Simi valley you can protect yourself, and your right to compensation in the following ways. By:
- Not commenting or posting about your accident on social media— Insurance companies will be looking for information to use against you. So, to protect your right to compensation, do not post anything personal, or comment regarding the accident on social media. You may even choose to stay away from social media until your case is settled.
- Not speaking to the at-fault’s party insurance company representatives— the insurance company of the party responsible for the accident may come to you, seeking a recorded statement of your well-being. You can choose to protect your right to compensation by not speaking to them, and not allowing them to record any statement about your well-being. They will be looking for statements to use against you, to make you settle for a small compensation.
- Not signing any document from the at-fault party insurance company without seeing legal advice.
Insurance companies would want you to settle for as little claim as possible. By not doing all the above, you are protecting your right to full compensation.
To obtain maximum compensation, you need to employ the services of an experienced DUI attorney to negotiate on your behalf, and if necessary, represent you in court. Insurance companies are only seeking to protect their interests. Protect yours by hiring an experienced attorney.