The recognized leaders in personal injury law
Impaired Driving Accident Lawyer in Camarillo
Have you or your loved one been a victim of an impaired driving accident, and you are seeking legal assistance and representation? We offer the best legal representation at Bojat Law Group. Find out more on impaired driving accidents in Camarillo, how to protect your rights, and why you should seek legal assistance.
Impaired driving accidents are very common in the state of California, and most times, they can be severe and traumatizing for victims.
Impaired driving is driving while impaired by any substance, alcohol, prescribed, or illicit drugs. Under California vehicle code 23152, it is illegal for a person to drive with a body alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08% and more, or drive under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or a combination of both. DUI laws only apply to drugs that cause impairment.
Driving while impaired by a substance can affect a driver’s judgment and coordination. Accidents caused by impaired drivers are usually preventable. The penalties for impaired driving in Camarillo are grave, anyone found guilty of it can face jail time up to one year for misdemeanor charges, and prison commitment for felony cases.
As a victim of an impaired driving accident in Camarillo, you may want to seek retribution or compensation, depending on the severity of your injuries. The best way to do this is to seek the counsel of an experienced Camarillo car accident lawyer experienced in DUI cases to provide you with the highest- quality legal help. At Bojat Law Group, we are committed to helping you hold the impaired driver accountable, and get you the maximum settlement you deserve.
Other Causes of Impaired Driving
Impaired driving is not limited to driving under the influence of alcohol and other substances, and although several conditions can cause driving impairment, they are not considered DUI offenses and may not lead to criminal charges.
Some of them include:
- Driving under stress and exhaustion.
- Driving while distracted.
Common Types of Accidents Caused by a Drunk Driver
Here are the common types of accidents caused by driving under influence:
- Pedestrian accidents – Driving under influence may cause vision impairments, especially at night. A drunk driver may not see a pedestrian because of low vision. This type of impaired driving accident is usually catastrophic, and may even lead to death.
- Rear-end collisions – When under the influence, a person’s sense of distance and space is also impaired, and reaction to time is slow. An impaired driver would be unable to react quickly in traffic and cause rear-end collisions.
- Wrong-way wrecks – An impaired driver may not realize he is driving the wrong way, because of the inability to competently understand traffic signs. This could lead to wrong-way wrecks.
- Head-on collisions – Impaired drivers may become drowsy due to intoxication, and swerve into oncoming traffic in a head-on collision.
What To Do When Involved in an Impaired Driving Accident
As a victim of an impaired driving accident, the actions you take may affect your case and the amount of compensation you may receive. Here’s what you should do when involved in an accident caused by a driver you suspect is impaired. If your injuries aren’t critical, you should:
- Immediately call the police – if you suspect the driver is impaired, stay on the scene and call 911 immediately to the scene. Drunk driving is a crime punishable by the law, and can result in severe consequences, especially when someone is killed or injured. This ensures you have a police report when filing claims against the impaired driver.
- Document the accident – if you can, take photographs and videos of the accident. Note down plate numbers. These may serve as evidence.
- Assess yourself for injuries – assess yourself for injuries, check on passengers, if you had any passengers with you. No matter the severity of your injuries, be sure to seek medical assistance. You may be entitled to compensation for the damages you have suffered as a result of the accident. Don’t wait too long to seek medical attention, as you may risk losing your right to seek coverage from the insurance company of the party at fault.
- Contact a DUI lawyer – after seeking medical attention, you should immediately contact a DUI attorney, for representation. At Bojat Law Group, our experienced DUI attorneys can assist you with the legal assistance you require to hold the party at fault accountable and help fight for your right to compensation.
- Collect and keep records of lost wages – if as a result of the accident, you lose wages, keep all copies of records to support your claim, as insurance companies may not want to give you fair compensation for your losses. You and your DUI attorney should collect all documents of records and invoices from the doctors and the police.
Your Rights as a Victim of an Impaired Driving Accident in Camarillo
As a victim of an impaired driving accident, it is imperative to know and understand your rights:
- You have the right to pursue compensation for damages or losses incurred as a result of the accident, from the party at fault.
- You have the right to refuse to make a statement. After the accident, you may be contacted by the insurance company of the party at fault to seek a recorded statement of your wellbeing. You have the right to refuse to make any statements or answer any questions, any statements you make without legal representation may be used against you.
- You reserve the right to seek urgent medical examination, regardless of the severity of your injuries.
- You have to right to protect yourself, and your claims by choosing to stay off social media until your case is settled. Posting or commenting on anything personal regarding the accident on social media can be used against you by the party at-fault insurance company.
Claims as a Victim of an Impaired Driving Accident
As an impaired driving accident victim, what your claim is worth, depends on the severity of your injuries. You need an experienced DUI attorney to litigate on your behalf, for you to get full compensation. Without an attorney, you would not get fair compensation.
You can claim economic damages; loss of wages, loss of earning capacity, both future and present medical expenses, and other costs incurred.
You can also claim non-economic damages- compensation for pain and suffering, scarring and disfigurement, disability, loss of enjoyment, and quality of life.
To claim full compensation for damages and losses, you need an experienced attorney to litigate on your behalf. We, at Bojat Law Group, can provide you with the best legal assistance in Camarillo, to file your claim.