The recognized leaders in
personal injury law
Get Your Free Consultation
Brain Injury Accident in Camarillo
Have you or your loved one been involved in a brain injury accident in Camarillo? Check out this article on brain injury accidents and what to do when involved.
Brain injuries are also known as head trauma, concussion, brain damage, or traumatic brain injury. They can be catastrophic, and life-damaging. Oftentimes, they are caused by the reckless and negligent behavior of others.
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS), the leading cause of brain injury accidents in Camarillo is car crashes and about 400 people are impacted by brain injuries every year.
Brain injuries often take a toll on the victims and their loved ones. It affects them financially, emotionally, and physically. At Bojat Law Group, we are dedicated to giving you the best legal assistance and helping you seek retribution and full compensation for the damages and losses incurred as a result of the accident.
Causes of Traumatic Brain Injury Accidents in Camarillo
Common causes of traumatic brain injuries include:
- Physical assault- about 10% of traumatic brain injuries are caused by physical assault.
- Motor vehicle collisions- about 14% of traumatic brain injuries are caused by car and truck accidents. Motor vehicle accidents account for 26% of deaths relating to traumatic brain injury.
- Slips and falls- 1 in every 5 falls may cause traumatic brain injury.
- Construction site accidents- may also be unintentional blunt trauma. For example, getting hit by a falling item or tools at a construction site.
Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
There are several types of traumatic brain injuries which you can claim compensation for. A few of them are:
- Concussion - concussions are often referred to as mild traumatic brain injury (TBI), and are the most common type of brain trauma. They are often caused by blunt force, whiplash movements, and or rapid and violent shaking of the head. Concussions may result in post-concussion syndrome, symptoms which include dizziness, anxiety, sleeping difficulties, inability to concentrate, and so on. Some of these symptoms may even last up to a year.
- Brain contusion - brain contusions are also caused by an impact on the head and may result in severe bruising or bleeding of the brain tissues. Extensive contusions may require surgery. Contusions can be life-threatening and brain-damaging.
- Penetrating brain injury - penetrating head injuries involve breaks and fractures in the skull, as a result of blunt force and sharp objects. Examples of these are stabbing wounds, gunshot wounds, and so on. Penetrating brain injury may often result in death.
- Hematoma - is also known as a blood clot in the brain. Involves swelling between the brain and skull, it may sometimes occur inside the brain.
- Closed head injury - closed head injuries are often severe and can result in a brain bleed, concussions, and other trauma. It could be caused by slips and falls, blunt force, motor vehicle accidents, or any impact that would cause the brain to strike against the skull.
Symptoms of Brain Injuries
Brain injuries are often fatal, and are not easily recognizable. Symptoms of brain injuries may sometimes be unnoticeable and even minor accidents may lead to severe brain injuries. Common symptoms of brain injuries include:
- Memory loss
- Lack of coordination and dizziness
- Confusion and disorientation
- Depression, emotional changes, and personality changes
- Vision disturbances
- Nausea and tremors
- Slurred speech
- Trouble concentrating
Long-term Symptoms and Effects of Traumatic Brain Injury
Some traumatic brain injuries are often life-damaging and may affect the victim’s ability to work or function normally. Long-term effects of traumatic brain injury include:
- Loss of life
- Traumatic epilepsy
- Communication and language problems may include difficulty in identifying objects, and difficulties in writing, reading and speaking.
- Behavioral and psychological defects, including mood swings, anxiety, agitation, and depression.
- Motor sensory complications of which may include full or partial paralysis, lack of coordination and balance, seizures, and problems swallowing.
- Cognitive defects- loss of time and space perception, trouble concentrating, long-term memory loss, shortened attention span.
- Perceptual and sensory defects include change or loss of taste. touch, hearing, smell, and vision problems.
- Difficulties in functioning, and carrying out simple tasks such as bathing, cooking, and dressing.
- Difficulty in interacting in social situations, problems in understanding, anxiety, and irritability.
- Increased likelihood of alcohol and drug addiction.
What To Do Immediately After a Head Injury
It is important to quickly assist anyone you suspect has had any head injury. To avoid brain damage, it is imperative to assist them quickly. The speed in receiving medical attention can make a difference in their lives. Here are the steps to take if you suspect a person has suffered from any type of mild brain injury.
- To make sure the victim is stable, sit them down slowly.
- Check for scalp wound, if a scalp wound is present, apply pressure or an ice pack to the wound.
- Access the victim, check if he/she is responsive or coherent, is suffering memory loss or confusion
- Seek immediate emergency care if the victim is showing signs of blood loss. Or unresponsiveness.
If the victim has suffered a severe head injury and is paralyzed or non-responsive, don’t move them. Call emergency care immediately.
After the brain injury victim has received emergency care, contact our experienced brain injury attorneys regarding the injuries to help you or your loved one get the medical care and compensation you deserve. Treatments for brain injuries are often expensive and can be a financial burden on the victim and family. Pursuing a lawsuit can help you cover the financial costs of the injury and compensation for damages.
Filing a Lawsuit for Brain Injury
As a victim of an accident leading to brain injury, you have the right to hold the party responsible, and liable for your losses and damages incurred as a result of the accident. Bojat Law Group, brain injury lawyers can assist you in filing your claim and negotiate with insurance representatives on your behalf, to ensure maximum compensation. When negotiation can’t be agreed upon, we can guide you in taking the party at fault to court.
Compensation for brain injuries includes:
- Economic damages - loss of wages, coverage of medical expenses both future and present, and other costs.
- Non-economic damages - loss of quality of life and enjoyment, compensation for pain and suffering, disability, emotional distress, and other intangible losses suffered.
- Punitive damages - an additional amount serving to punish the party at fault, and to prevent others from engaging in similar behavior.
In the case of death, surviving family members may be able to recover damages such as; loss of companionship and support, compensation for financial losses, and funeral expenses.
Brain injuries are often complicated and sometimes may result in death. While no amount of money can bring back a loved one, we can help you get the maximum compensation you deserve for the losses incurred.
Get Your Local Lawyer
Brain Injury Attorneys in Los Angeles
Traumatic brain injury is a major cause of death and disability in the United States. ... Read more
Simi Valley Brain Injury Lawyer
If you or someone you know has suffered brain injuries due to the negligence of a third party in the Simi Valley area, you should consult a licensed personal injury lawyer. ... Read more
Thousand Oaks Brain Injury Lawyer
A victim that suffers from traumatic brain injury will face a significantly complicated life which will impact their family and loved ones forever. ... Read more
Brain Injury Lawyer Westlake Village
Are you in need of the counsel of a brain injury lawyer, Westlake Village? At Bojat Law Group, our brain injury lawyers are efficient and experienced. We will provide you with all the legal assistance you need. Check out this article on brain injury accidents in Westlake Village. ... Read more
What Compensation Can I Get for Brain Injuries in Woodland Hills
Traumatic brain injury is one of the worst injuries you can sustain after an accident. A wound to the brain can have a devastating consequence on your health and finances. ... Read more