The recognized leaders in personal injury law
Bicycle Accident Lawyer Oxnard
Bicycle accidents can be catastrophic for victims due to the open nature of a bicycle. After a bicycle accident, victims are left with expensive medical bills, emotional distress, trauma, pain, and suffering. We can help get your life back on track. Were you injured in a bicycle accident in Oxnard? Bojat Law Group, APC, helps you seek justice and retribution. Contact us today.
If you or your loved one has sustained severe injuries in a bicycle accident in Oxnard, contact an experienced bicycle accident attorney from Bojat Law Group, APC.
California bicycle laws
California bicycle laws are ones every bicyclist in California must adhere to. These laws protect bicyclists, they specify how and where a bicycle must operate, and how other vehicles should conduct when passing a bicycle. Some of these laws include:
Rights and responsibilities — Under California vehicle code CVC 21200, adult bicyclists have all the rights and are subject to all the duties and obligations applicable to a motorist. It means that bicyclists must also adhere to the rules of the road, such as obeying traffic signals, yielding to oncoming traffic, and others.
Wear a helmet— minors, that is, people below 18 years of age, must wear a helmet when bicycling, even on private property. Adults are strongly advised to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle. CVC 21212.
When to use bicycle lanes— under California vehicle code CVC 21208, bicyclists must use bike lanes, if available, when moving slower than the traffic, and appropriate signals must be given by bicyclists when exiting the bike lane.
Yield to pedestrians— under California Vehicle code CVC 21954, pedestrians must always use designated crosswalks when crossing a roadway. When they do not, bicyclists must yield the right of way to pedestrians.
Ride with oncoming traffic— California vehicle code, CVC 21650, States that bicyclists must ride with the traffic, not against it.
Ride on the right side of the road— bicyclists must ride on the right side of the road, except when riding as fast as traffic. There are exceptions to this law in the vehicle code, CVC 21202, that allows bicyclists to take the traffic lane. They are:
- When overtaking another bicycle.
- When preparing to turn left.
- When avoiding unsafe conditions along the right-hand side of the road.
Stop at crosswalks— bicyclists must stop at, not in crosswalks, CVC 21455.
The three feet of safety act— vehicle drivers’ must provide a three-foot passing distance between their vehicle and a bicycle. If unable to provide the three-foot passing distance, they must;
- Slow down to a reasonable speed.
- Pass when convinced that doing so would not harm the bicyclist.
Causes of bicycle accidents in Oxnard, Ventura County
Some causes of bicycle accidents in Oxnard include:
- Motorists failing to yield— many bicycle accidents occur when other drivers fail to yield the right-of-way to bicyclists.
- Negligence actions— such as carelessness when opening car doors, impaired driving, inattentiveness, motorists using bike lanes, speeding, and others.
- Poor road conditions.
Injuries suffered in a bicycle accident
Bicycle accidents can lead to catastrophic injuries, even when the cyclist is on a helmet. This is because bicycles provide no protection and would not prevent injuries when struck by a motor vehicle. Common injuries suffered in a bicycle accident include:
- Head and face injuries
- Neck and spinal cord injuries
- Road rash
- Internal bleeding
- Crush injuries
- Severe cuts
- Traumatic brain injuries
What’s more, bicycle accident victims may also suffer psychologically and mentally. Our experienced bicycle accident attorney can help you recover financial compensation for damages suffered in a bicycle accident. Bojat Law Group, APC is dedicated to ensuring bicycle accident victims in Oxnard get the compensation they deserve.
What to do when involved in a bicycle accident
When involved in a bicycle accident in Oxnard, you should immediately take steps to protect your right to compensation. You may not be thinking about that at the moment, but in the long run, you will when dealing with costly medical bills and others. You shouldn’t be liable for the negligent behavior of another.
Here are the steps we recommend you take after a bicycle accident.
- Report the accident to the relevant authorities.
- Collect relevant evidence of the accident by taking pictures and videos of the accident scene, the injuries suffered, and damages.
- Exchange information with the at-fault driver, Including contact and insurance information.
- Get to safety.
- Seek immediate medical assistance regardless of the severity of your injuries.
- Contact an Oxnard bicycle accident attorney to guide you through filing a claim.
After a bicycle accident, you should not:
- Admit to fault or apologize for the accident.
- Do not negotiate or accept a settlement from the at-fault driver or their insurance company.
- Do not repair or throw away the bicycle.
Damages in a bicycle accident claim
Bicycle accident victims are entitled to compensation for the negligent actions of the at-fault motorist. The extent of these damages may depend on the severity of your injuries. The damages that bicycle accident victims can pursue include, but are not limited to:
- Lost wages— bicycle accident victims can pursue compensation for wages lost during recovery.
- Cost of medical expenses— victims of bicycle accidents can pursue compensation for the value of all medical bills from injuries resulting from the bicycle accident.
- Pain and suffering— victims can seek compensation for pain and suffering inflicted on them by injuries resulting from the bicycle accident.
- Emotional distress— bicycle accident victims can seek compensation for emotional distress resulting from injuries sustained in the accident.
- Punitive damages— in a case of gross negligence on the part of the at-fault party, victims can pursue compensation for punitive damages. It is awarded to victims to prevent others from engaging in similar behavior.
How Bojat Law Group, APC can assist you
Bojat Law Group, APC is committed to helping bicycle accident victims obtain maximum compensation and return them to the position they would have been in had the accident not occurred.
We provide our clients with trusted legal guidance, support, and aggressive representation. We have years of experience and can counter any defense raised by the at-fault party or their insurance company.
We will investigate your accident, identify the party responsible for the accident, calculate your damages, demand compensation for damages, negotiate on your behalf, and if necessary represent you in court. Although, many personal injury claims settle out of court.
Contact our skilled Oxnard bicycle accident attorneys today